How to create an aerial camera video

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cig
Cig's picture

Pro/Am
Team MRR: 967
How to create an aerial camera video

In version 2.6 of RR3, Firemonkeys introduced the aerial camera view in replays. I found it nice as it allows to see better the lines, and I always wanted to see a full lap/race in aerial view.
Unfortunately this camera cannot be chosen... it just plays randomly for some parts of the replay, when auto camera is chosen.

But there is a trick that can be used to create the full replay in aerial view. So, just for fun, I tried to create few videos using this technique.
I discovered the trick by myself recently, but I also found here (http://myrealracing.club/comment/36037#comment-36037) an old post that describes the process, more aimed to taking shots.

Here's one of the video I created:

For the ones intrested, following an how to do it... I know, it is quite lenghty and complicated, but works.
1 - after the race, start the replay with auto camera, that is the default view;
2 - at a certain point, randomly, the camera switches to Aerial. Press pause when this happens;
now, if you use only Fast Forward or Rewind buttons, the view will stay in aerial mode. By experience, FF goes at 4x speed, while Rew goes at 2x;
3 - go back to the start of the video in Rew and record (with any Airplay Mirroring software) the full video at 4x speed while pressing FF;
4 - Use a video editor to change the speed of replays, replaying it at 25% of the original;
5 - (this is for me the most complex part of the process) if you like, add the sound from a standard replay (synching needed - in my video there is a lag so it is a little out of synch...), after extracting it from another record of the same race;
6 - export the new video with sound and it's done.

The result would be not bad, but as you extend a video that originally was at 4x speed, it'll be quite jerky.

Much better result is obtained if you record while rewinding the video, starting from the end of the video itself, then using the video editor again to change the speed at 50% and to play it in reverse. This is the process I used for the video above.

The process described is working with the following:
iPad Air 2
iOS 8.4.1
Windows 10
Reflector for Windows (Airplay mirroring software, paid; there are some free Airplay Mirring softwares, but I cannot make them working properly)
VSDC Free video Editor (completely free)

I'm not proficient in Video Editing, so maybe there are other ways to obtain an even better result.

I wish Firemonkeys introduce an automatic function to do it directly from RR3 (maybe also including hud data in replays...).

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.