Last post
Gio
Gio's picture

Legend
The Gauntlet - Best approach

Update 2017-01-11:
Jump to Gauntlet 11 payout and best approach

-- Introduction --

The following few analyses can show that the eventual increase in rewards for Boss #5 & #6 (and eventually above that) in comparison to Boss #1 to #4 would NOT be worth the increased stress of crazy race conditions and higher risk of losing points not yet banked. Therefore, quiting any challenge which  presents itself difficult to win will not represent an important drop in the rate of completion for this event. You will probably have more fun and less stress, do less damage to your car, need to buy less upgrades, be less frustrated if you fail a challenge and don't bank those points, all good things even if you eventually take just a little bit longer to finish the event.

By "rewards" one can take any parameter they want, and it will probably fit into this analysis. 
Points per race used to be just the right parameter until Gauntlet 4 (or even earlier at 3), when the challenges were fun and we could compare with our friends which Boss level we have achieved and this was indeed the more important goal: reach the highest level possible.

By Gauntlet 5, the challenges became quite longer (apparently, either because the time for each race was just longer or because the race conditions turned crazy, making each challenge from Boss 5 and above just grueling and definitely not fun). 
With longer races and probably the same or similar points per race table, the longer, more difficult challenges were not comparable to the ones from Gauntlet 4 anymore (reward-wise), and a new metric was needed to carry on for such  comparison...

Since the bottleneck associated with race conditions are hard to evaluate/quantify for each player and case, a time parameter, e.g. points per time is the next in line. By looking at the time spent for each boss campaign, it is possible to estimate how long one will need to spend in, say, Boss #8 if a couple of retries are needed and most importantly: we can evaluate the amount of time spent dealing with those crazy conditions. 
If one, for instance, hates "no-skidding" conditions but will most likely get that condition in a short race, they will probably fell inspired to try that challenge and will race more relaxed. The problem with Gauntlet 5 is that there were too many long races with too many stacked boring conditions, making this kind of event a pain. Once we realized the profit of higher-level challenges was not that better than the one in the beginner races, we started to quit on Boss 6 or 7 in an educated decision (hopefully). I hope this post helped a few guys in that time, even if I got it and posted it a bit later in the 3rd day already. smiley

Alternatively, the amount of points per ticket was still high in Gauntlet 5 and increasing considerably with the Boss level though (long races but plenty of points per race, i.e. always only 2 tickets), and this was an important parameter for those who couldn't wait for tickets refills nor watch ads to earn tickets. Most of us chewed on ads though, and this parameter set itself in the past (sorry Paul, aka daddybear)

-- Why counting points per race exactly ? --
 -- Nasty Monkeys' tricks in Gauntlets 6 and 7 --

-- Gauntlet 7 --
Jump to The Gauntlet Season 7 details on points profit -
http://myrealracing.club/comment/95151#comment-95151

EDIT:
I've said: "we don't need to go to high-level bosses and still bank points FASTER than before smiley".
That's for until Boss #5 only though:

There was an error in ONE cell in my sheet, hiding the fact that they probably fixed the rise in points on Boss 6 and above.

Then, they reduced the number of points required AND the time spent for each boss campaign, therefore: we spend basically the same 100 minutes on track.

Comparing the points system for the latest versions of The Gauntlet:

Points and Time:

Points Gauntlet 5 Gauntlet 6 Gauntlet 7
Boss 1 3280 8000 8260
Boss 2 2870 9500 8770
Boss 3 4590 11000 9340
Boss 4 5390 12000 9950
Boss 5 9590 21000 16100
Boss 6 11430 23000 17460
SUM 38140 84500 69870
Time Gauntlet 5 Gauntlet 6 Gauntlet 7
Boss 1 2.9 4.1 2.6
Boss 2 5.2 5.2 3.9
Boss 3 6.2 5.0 3.1
Boss 4 7.2 4.5 2.6
Boss 5 13.3 7.0 5.3
Boss 6 12.7 5.1 5.6
SUM 48.0 30.8 23.1

-- The Gauntlet 6 --
It looks like this time the boring conditions continue to strike!
However, the racing time required for each boss level might keep steady as you reach higher boss levels.
See at Reply #43 the main differences found in Gauntlet #6 and how you could take better advantage of you time to play while having fun!

-- The Gauntlet 5 --

Abstract - Edit
In this work, I wanted mainly to check how I could save some time, while I actually got an interesting result which attends to most of THE MRR's members.. it is better to spend some time watching ads while multitasking with pleasant activities, than waste your time punching/welling at the screen.

Motivation --
The first run in Gauntlet 5 was probably the best one for most players: Monkeys know how to capture our attention. Also, the first Boss campaign of each Run (the first couple of races and of course the race against Boss#1) seems to be easier.
I got a specially easy/fast Boss Campaign in the first day, and notice a decrease in points earned by minute played.
Since I'm short of time to play, decided to take notes to help chosing the best strategy, leading to this kind of table:

The tale of the tape --
An estimated average of 2.9 hours at the track was necesary to finish Gauntlet 5
Make it 3.4 hours by considering races setup, or 4.5 hours adding time to watch ads.
A total of 274 tockets would have to be spent if playing only Boss #1. Average amount of tickets (going through Boss#1 to #6): 183 tickets.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Reasons NOT to advance more than a few boss levels in Guantlet 5 --
0 - Botton line: An eventual increase in points/time spent won't be worth the pain.
1 - Low increase in points per total time invested (playing+ads+setup)
1.1- No increase in points per time playing, so you actually spent little more time setting the races (ok if you doing anything else during that time)
2 - Harder/longer races will deteriorate your car faster
3 - Higher risk of losing ALL points from current boss campaign due to hard boss races/crazier conditions
4 - Cumulative retries due to fail will increase cost of retrying (gold)
5 - Start a new run will cost only 2 tickets (to fail a race), but will reset retrying cost, and provide easier races with less crazy conditions
6 - Did I mention longer races with more conditions increase stress and take all the fun?

Reasons to advance more than a few boss levels in Guantlet 5 --
0 - Botton line: Increase in points-per-ad_watched rate (or rise in points/ticket-spent, specially important if you can't access or spend time watching ads)
1 - Boost in sense of accomplishment [ ;) ]
2 - Higher incentive to drive better (although in uncommon situations)
3 - Increase value of Gold eventually spent on Engineer to keep car fresh (longer races)
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Quick facts:
 - There seems not to be a correlation within a given Boss campaign - there were short campaigns including 2 Speed Snaps, and long ones with mostly Cups or Enduros.
 - After Boss #1, here seems to be a correlation across 2 or 3 Boss campaigns: short campaigns were followed by long ones, so that the average duration of the campaigns varied little

Appendix --
The first run looked like this (below). I started earning ~1150 points/minute played (blue line) in Boss 1, then 2/3 of it in the following Bosses, until it started to rise in Boss 6 but it was too hard with weird conditions to sustain.
The plot for points per total time spent (playing time + race setup (20 sec each) + ad watching (avrg 22 sec each)) followed a similar yet smoother trend (green line). Those who can work or chill while preparing each race shouldn't bother with this one IMO, since the the time effectively spent is the one racing.

After that, I took some quick notes for a total of 20 Boss Campaigns. The average plot shows that the points-per-minute playing doesn't increase, while points-per-total time spent tends to increase a little (until Boss #6 at least).

Points payout, comparing Boss #6 to Boss #1 --
A) The increase in #points, time playing and total time spent were, respectively: 250%, 215%, and 140%.
B) Points per time playing increased only  10%
C) Points per pl.+setup time    increased  25%
D) Points per total time spent  increased  50%
E) Points per tickets used      increased  161%

I will attach the table just in case someone wants to fill with time and #points for advanced Boss level. heart

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.