Car handling - Oversteer

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gio
Gio's picture

Legend
Car handling - Oversteer

Yes, much of the real thing seems to be present in Real Racing 3. And I’m just overwhelmed that I found this stuff, so now I have the words to describe much of what I’ve seen and USED in the game since long before.

At 03:36 in the video, the effect is quite the same as in the newest Porsche - when the rear starts to slide, you corrrect it by steering slightly into the skid (counter-steering). And once you get the grip back, immediatly straight the wheel.

In oversteer, the rear tires slightly lose grip, meaning the car points into the turn as its back becomes lighter.

Lateral swing (#3 in the video): turn briefly opposed to the turn side just to (un)balance the weight, than to the correct one.
This is supposed to work in RR3! I’ve used it sometimes and someone posted recently a hand-made draft of such racing line, stating it indeed allows faster turns (or laps) in the game.

The swing is exaggerated in the video above, but its smother mode could be noticed by the RR3's code as a trigger for the oversteer behavior. All that the swing does is actually changing the grip levels in the rear tires, allowing the appropriate car alignment. Ops, just remembered my latest example, Reply #31 in Gameplay Snapshots, actually coming off of a mis-carried turn (but still fast) and turning the wheel quickly to the left first (still at the chicane) then right and hold (when the rear tires started to SKID!).

Note that the oversteer (or also understeer) situations do not always have to do with excessively turning the steering whee!!

Other ways of imposing a controlled oversteering to help maneuver the car:
Lift-off oversteer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-off_oversteer
The temporary deceleration forces part of the car weight (vertical load) to shift temporarily to the front axle, reducing the rear tires grip. Lift-off oversteer is common to occur in RR drivetrain cars (rear engine, rear drive). In RR3, the deceleration effects of lifting the gas seem to be negligible unless you hit the brakes too, so this is a reason to brake brake just timely in RR drivetrain cars.

Leadfoot: push the gas while steering in, making the rear tires to spin a bit and lose grip. This seems to work frequently with the Lamborghini Gallardos in RR3.

Racing way: brake late so that there's less weight on the rear axle during the initial section of the turn. Never saw this in RR3.

The video above sometimes shows a too much large rotation angle (yaw rate) during turns -- for aesthetic reasons. Although those amplified effects are used in both rally and drift racing, this thread aimed at the smoother maneuvers that help hug the turns.

Now, in the video below we get a clear view of the effects of both gas and brake pedals to the steering angle of the car’s BODY (if that makes sense), starting at 02:18 (behavior compatible with racing conditions)

At 03:13 he mentions “turn the wheel as quickly as you can”. I do this while playing to recover grip & acceleration faster devil

PS.: Sparkling the windshield with water drops for the (wet) skid pad filming was a master's trick!

DISCLAIMER: oversteer is used by experienced drivers in closed circuits. Please don’t try this in regular traffic or under uncontrolled conditions.

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.