When it's all worth it for just a moment

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
dbuck01
dbuck01's picture

Pro
When it's all worth it for just a moment

I have criticized the Monkeys before and will continue to do so but every once in a while the game produces some real excitement. The following took place in May 2016:

It was the final NASCAR race in the entire game to run. A win would give me 100% completion in the Richard Petty Championship and a nice pile of GC (and I'd finally be done with NASCAR!)
The race: 10 laps on the Super Speedway at Daytona in a fully upgraded #43 STP Ford Fusion.
Let's do this. 

Starting from last on the grid I went low through T1 and emerged mid-pack. 

They go low though T2 so I shoot for the gap to take the outside line. 

I make the gap but brush the wall ever so lightly. Close call but I'm still in it. The problem is that I'm coming out of T2 in the middle of the pack. A bad place to be. 

I find a space somehow and start to plan my next move when I get clipped in the rear and start to spin! I'm off the throttle and counter-steering. I manage to recover while the offending driver goes into the wall and causes a pile-up behind me.

I've got clear air ahead and behind now but I'm well behind the leading pack in 10th place. I quickly make up the gap to the leaders and make my way into 1st place. Clear sailing to the finish now.

Towards the end of the race I've built up a huge lead and, not wanting to win by such a large margin, I park up just before the finish line and wait. All I have to do is wait until the pack gets closer and nudge it over the line for the win. 

I don't want to risk a loss by sandbagging too much so as the pack rounds the last turn and approaches the line I tap the throttle with a few hundred yards to spare...

...only to hear the sound of the final lap warning!! Oh #%!?\&! There's still a lap to go! I hit the throttle as the pack approaches at full speed. Somehow I manage to block the train but one car squirts by at full chat and is off in the distance by T1. 

I drive at full throttle keeping it low and tight, spewing expletives and slowly gaining ground but there's surely not enough time. I've blown it. 

Coming through the last corner I'm tantalizingly close but the finish line is right there...it's gonna be so...close....

By a nose!! Unbelievable! He's pulled off a miracle and won the championship! 

For what it's worth, this game has its moments. 

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.