Oversteering - RR3 Style

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gio
Gio's picture

Legend
Oversteering - RR3 Style

Disclaimer: this is a purely practical post. yes In order to reproduce its results, it is not required any theory, hours of practice or alien's superpowers. Enjoy and have fun.
PS: Oversteer concepts can be found * here * and * from this Reply on *.

I did it! First real improvement in a TT using oversteering! First full, clean lap using this rather dirty secret, and all caught on camera!! Note: with little practice in this car recently (other than that lap at Leipzig when I use the whole width of the track, but couldn't keep a decent line), I did improve 0.8 second on top of my best score just by using oversteering. That means: brake late, corner slow but recover grip early, know new aspects of the track, besides running more relaxed and as a bonus having lots of fun.

Time Trial score (and hopefully a ghost) registered here: http://myrealracing.club/rr3/challenge/19957/new-all-tts-pro... << Pro, V10 something 4.1 with my fancy (read: purple) Lambo something.

Look at this nice oversteer.
Before anything: I used tilt B, no assists, and don't know proper technical terms for this maneuver. I have been practicing this stuff on and off, but today it took me no more then 10 minutes get the oversteer(s) right, improve my time and successfully complete the lap.

The single-tire skid mark just ahead of my hood is the mark of my left-rear tire (I went back and forth in the replay to darken the marks, then I came backwards to be able to see it before I even turned the steer to the right in the video).

Below you see I was (very briefly) steering right in order to make my rear wheels skid to the left, forcing the car to rotate (oversteer) towards the right. In the picture, the rear tires are sliding very gently to the left (creating the single skid you see above).

Below you notice I already unwinded the steering wheel almost completely, while the body of the car continues rotating to the right (full throttle! ...producing the double skid marks you see above).

And finally, a photo of complete maneuver before attacking the apex.

There is a lot involved in this maneuver so far, including a late braking, the abrupt movement on the steering wheel to start oversteering (lateral swing?), and the early step on the gas (you lose a bit of speed while skidding, so you recover grip faster and can push the gas earlier).

By the time of the picture above, I am even a bit ahead of jbar's ghost, who is quite fast and I wasn't able to follow 'till this point had I not managed to do this nice oversteer. In order follow his ghost without skidding I believe I would need a few hours to master the braking (technique and points) and get a perfect line. Lambos and Ferraris are not very forgiving when you don't drive well, and especially if you don't want to oversteer a bit. ;-) 

PS. I will resume showing this turn and the rest of the lap tomorrow. 

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.