Getting started: Controller dead zones, car collecting, race length, and Forza Rewards

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
nettrom

Veteran
Team MRR: 64
Getting started: Controller dead zones, car collecting, race length, and Forza Rewards

Started playing the game yesterday and have so far concentrated on the single-player campaign. Based on my experience as well as watching others, here's a few notes:

• If you're playing with a controller, you probably want to adjust the controller dead zones (hit "X" in the controller setting menu to find them). I run with 0/100 on steering, acceleration, and braking, in other words, no dead zones. In my experience that allows for finer control of the car, making particularly stock tuned cars easier to handle.
  • If you got any edition that includes DLC cars, picking those up at the first opportunity is useful as it helps increase your car collector score. They're all immediately available for purchase and free the first time you get them. As you climb in car collecting tiers, the rewards for levelling up increases, so starting that early helps.
  • Sign up for Forza Rewards, or collect them if you haven't already! Credits are not as immediately available as in previous Forza games, and Forza rewards can give you a nice little credit boost once a week. The first weekly payout in FM7 started on the 29th, the day the game came out, so there's already some to pick up.
  • You can now increase race length in the assists menu. There's two additional settings, I've so far gone with the middle one, where races end up being about 15-20 minutes long. The short races are often 2 or 3 laps, which I find makes racing very hectic as you try to make passes to get to the front. So far I haven't done any extremely long races, from what I hear they're about 45 minutes long. Will at some point do the Spa 100 showcase (in the Breakout Championship) with that setting though, to get the achievement, it's 69 laps.

So far I've only done two series with long races and all three showcases to complete the Seeker Championship, and two of the three showcases in the Breakout Championship. Started out with the Hot Hatch races, meaning I didn't grab the free supercar. From what I understand the free car doesn't count towards your collection tier, but at the same time it's a question of whether you want a million CR supercar or not. Then did the historic muscle car races, where the Camaro Forza Edition didn't work for me because of the power tracks (Daytona, VIR, Road Atlanta). I had gotten the Mercury Cougar at a level up, so I built and tuned that for those races (and I shared the tune), it worked really well! The added race length had me level up roughly once per race, making me feel like the added time was worth it. I'm starting to explore the mod cards, but haven't done much with those yet, only thing I've noticed is that all mod cards are now limited in how many times you can use them.

Once I have more things to add, I'll post updates. Please feel free to add tips or ask questions, either here or in a new thread!

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.