Stereo Car Sounds

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
jaguar
jaguar's picture

Veteran
Team MRR: 18
Stereo Car Sounds

I notice that some of the sounds in the game are in stereo like the background music tracks.

When I listen to the cars go past I am not able to discern just by listening whether they are passing on the left or the right.

I would have thought it would make for a more realistic experience if passing cars gave a better spatial awareness to the driver. This in part may also make up for the fact that in hood view there are no rear view mirrors.

When travelling straight the indicator at the  bottom of the screen gives shows whether the car following is on the centre, left or right, but it doesnt indicate fluidly how close the car is, as you would have to read the number of yards or meters too quickly and would be distracted from focusing on the view ahead.  When turning the indicator gives even less spatial awareness to the driver. 

If stereo sounds for cars were working then this might give an indication if a car attempting to pass was on left or right, and give you a chance to take evasive action... like drifting and letting your back slide out to block the car attempting to pass on a corner.

When cornering the stereo sound would always give an accurate bearing of the car attempting to pass in relation to yourself.  Even if not the most accurate indicator, the sounds would at least feed another of the driver's senses.

Is it just my hearing or my earphones, or are the passing car sounds monaural only?

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.