Why I play OMP, plus video!

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uncle_Drunken
Uncle_Drunken's picture

Pro/Am
Team MRR: 143
Why I play OMP, plus video!

OMP, is jam packed full of players who have little or no respect for the spirit of a racing game, or their fellow players. Their focus seems to be much more about crashing other players off track, than it is about racing. I guess 90-95% of those players don’t have anything close to the racing skill of the average MRR member. Sad truth is for most of these players, their only chance to win a race is to crash their way to the finish. I don’t offer that as any sort of excuse for their chicken sh*t behavior, just fact.

So, why the hell would I throw in with such a lot as that? 

Well, there are 3 reasons; first, there are literally a handful of players who refuse to weaponize their cars. Even the fast guys will usually turn into you if they think you are going to pass them. So there are five or six guys who refuse to intensional bang, block, crash, or smash as a strategy. I’m one of those guys, and it probably has no effect at all, but as an example of how the game should be played IMhO, I think it is important. The first clip in the vid shows me trying to set that example for a brand new player.

Second, it offers me the opportunity to have something I will never get from All TT’s - the chance to be at the top of the leader board. The closest I can get to that here, is every once in a while, I’ll be chasing Frank, or Cig, and I’ll get through a corner just right, and realize I took that corner a few hundred’s of a second faster. Then it will be 4 TT’s later when I do it one time again. It’s exciting when it happens, but I am never going to get two of those corners on one run, much less 7,8,11 corners on one run. The same thing that makes OMP so unappealing to most, and often to me as well, is the very thing that keeps me hooked - it’s unpredictable and sloppy format. It is that unpredictable, sloppy format what allows me the chance to be atop the GLB.

Third and finally, the most important reason for me. Is, once or twice a month, at most, I will get to race one of the other guys who plays right, and those races are for me the best the game has to offer. More than once I have lifted and braked just before the finish line to let such an opponent pass as a way of showing my apperception for the clean racing, and had them do the same.

Enjoy the video. Not exactly what I wanted, but it seemed every time I would forget to film I would get a great example of one thing or another, and to the contrary, every time I knew I was recording my racing got sloppy.

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.