1 post / 0 new
Mod-Veyron
Mod-Veyron's picture

Legend
Team MRR: 5
Problem Updating Screenshot

The following is from this post...

MattO wrote:

I am having problems updating the screenshot for my latest entry in this event. I entered & updated my entry 3 times today without problem, but with my most recent 4th entry, No matter what I do I can't get my screenshot to update. I delete the photo, reselect my most recent screenie, but what shows on the post is an earlier screenshot. 

Here is my most recent pic

my 4 entries were

1:16:677

1:15.417

1:14.721 

When I post this same 1:14.157 pic in the challenge, it shows my earlier pics. Mostly the second one, once it shows the third one. I tried deleting my entry & re-entering it. I tried killing all apps and rebooting iPad. No change.

never had this prob before,, maybe too many updates in too short a period?

Oh also, on my initial entry in this event it somehow created two entries. I deleted one of them right away no problem, and successfully updated the other entry twice without a problem.

oh also, I deleted the three previous screenshot pic from my iPad album, so I am not selecting the wrong photo, and any trace of the earlier pics is gone from my POV.

IPad Air, ios8.1

<add> several hours later... viola! With no action on my part, the correct latest 1:14.157 screenshot now appears. Ignore the man behind the curtain. The great and powerful wizard!

This is actually a result of the way iDevices handle uploads (and the way your browser cache works).  I'm not sure if it's the same on Droids, but whenever an image is uploaded from an iDevice, instead of using the internal name of the file, like "IMG_0123" for example, it simply names the file "image" (.jpg or .png).

In MRR, if a 2nd (or 3rd, 4th, etc.) file is uploaded with the same name as an existing file, an incremental number is appended to it to make it unique.  This method is used both when embedding an image in a comment (as is the case with the above image), or when populating an image-type field in one of the MRR tables (like the one used for screenshots in the ULB).

The main difference between those two situations is, when you remove an image from a comment, the previously uploaded file is not deleted, as it is for image fields.  So if you've ever replaced an image with an updated screenshot by editing an existing comment, the new image was always given a new (unique) name.  But when replacing an image in an image field, where the original file gets deleted, the file name that had been assigned to that file becomes available again, and the new image being uploaded (a split-second later) gets assigned the same name.

Let's say your original image ended up being named image3241.  Since you have viewed the page with that image already, your browser has a copy of that image in its cache.  Later, you replace that image with a newer one, but as described above, it ends up with the same name.  Your browser, thinking it's the same file, never downloads the updated version of that file.  The reason it seems to have fixed itself is, no doubt, related to the way the browser handles its cache - either it needed the space because of additional browsing during those several hours and deleted the original image, or perhaps it has a time limit on how long cached items remain "active".  Who knows?  That's "man behind the curtain" stuff.

Whenever you encounter this situation, the solution is to clear your browser cache.  Either that or just trust that the correct file has, in fact, been uploaded, and just wait for the correct version to eventually appear on its own.

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.