Upcoming "Site Offline" Warning

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mod-Veyron
Mod-Veyron's picture

Legend
Team MRR: 5
Upcoming "Site Offline" Warning

The long-time members of MRR may recall my struggles to keep the site online in the early days. It started out being hosted on a "shared" plan (not much $ per month), but the traffic finally outgrew that plan. I then switched to a VPS solution, for much more $$$. The site was generating very little income - mostly from Google ads, though quite a number of members made use of the "Donation" button, which helped immensely - but not nearly enough to cover the cost of keeping it online.

Finally, a MRR member (who shall still remain nameless) offered to host the site for free. He operated some servers for his own enterprises and set my sites up on one of them. MRR has been operating on his servers ever since, probably for the past six or seven years, at least.

I don't know the details of his situation, but he's going through some changes in his setup - which caused the recent outage you may have noticed. He has informed me that we are now operating under a "temporary solution" and he's looking to set up his own servers again soon. That brings us to the "Upcoming Site Offline Warning"... whenever he gets his new server(s) set up, I'll need to update the DNS settings to point to the new server. Those settings take time to propagate throughout all DNS servers in the world, so, depending on your location, you may experience downtimes ranging from an hour or two to possibly a full day.

My apologies in advance for the inconvenience.

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.