Advice for all new Olympics participants

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bubba Bologna
Bubba Bologna's picture

Legend
Team MRR: 27
Advice for all new Olympics participants

Hey everyone! It's really great to see the interest in the upcoming Time Trial & Endurance Olympics. With all the new people on board, I thought a thread dedicated to some general advice might be a good idea as we get started. Here are my contributions.

1. Understand that this is a great opportunity to improve your racing skills and track knowledge, but it comes at a price of time and gold. Expect to spend at least 30 minutes a week dedicated to one race, and preferably in as few sittings as possible. Rinse, lather, repeat is the name of the game. Some of the real pros may spend hours. The only way to improve is to keep at it.
  2. Learn about "loaners" and understand cloud saves and backup copies. You will likely need some basic balance of gold to truly compete with others, as you'll want to have upgraded cars, replenished Drive pips, and multiple servicings - all of which require gold. But using the methods above you can spend the gold to accomplish the above, get your time recorded on the RR3 servers, and then get back all the gold you spent in doing so (no keeping the upgrades though).
  3. Following the ghosts of racers slightly faster than you is a great way to quickly improve.
  4. Driving with Traction Control off and Brake Assist on low is, in my opinion, basic to consistently reaching A group. (Edit: the real fasties generally go with Brake Assist all the way off. Steering assist and sensitivity generally doesn't affect a car's programmed performance but may affect yours, so fiddle with those if needed).
  5. Expect to DQ and retire 95% of the time. This is how you learn. Try different brake points and lines (follow several ghosts to help wih this), and you'll slowly master one turn after another. Don't get frustrated.
  6. Most of all, have fun!

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.