Issue with Multiple Selection using Topics Filter Box on Desktops

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
jaguar
jaguar's picture

Veteran
Team MRR: 18
Issue with Multiple Selection using Topics Filter Box on Desktops

There may be a partial reason why the General Information and Discussion area is not read as much as RealRacing3, and this may be due to a problem on the topics filter box on desktop systems on the "Topics with new and updated posts" page.

Regular users will use the very useful "The New/Updated Topics" button on the right side of screen which selects the "Topics with new and updated posts" page, and shows the topics selection box: "Show new and updated topics in:".

On the desktop, my browser (Internet Explorer & Firefox) will only allow one topic instead of multiple topics to be selected, and when a topic is clicked on, it turns blue. This means that people using the desktop browser will likely end up choosing "General Information and Discussion" or "RealRacing3" (or RealRacing2), but not both.  If only one topic can be selected at a time it may happen that users could leave it selected on one forget to re-do it for other selections.

Does anyone else using a desktop system experience only being able to select one topic?

I found out today after experimenting that in Firefox and Internet Explorer browser if you use control key you can select more than one choice and this works the filter box correctly. The shift key will also allow multiple choices but selects all topics in-between too.

Everyone's system may work differently, but may I suggest therefore that the filter box is re-tested with a couple of desktop browsers and depending on results, consideration is given to a note placed adjacent the box to say that with desktop systems the "Control key selects multiple choices on desktop browsers" or similar, to help people not knowing about use of the control key.

On my Android mobile (using Firefox browser on Kitkat v4.4.2 operating system) there is a different menu system and this allows multiple choices with tick-box, so multiple choice is not a problem. Although I do find reading the forum is much easier on a larger screened desktop than a mobile phone.

Hope this is useful.

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.